Institution’s Innovation Council
Ministry of Education (MoE), Govt. of India has established ‘MoE’s Innovation Cell (MIC)’ to systematically foster the culture of Innovation amongst all Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The primary mandate of MIC is to encourage, inspire and nurture young students by supporting them to work with new ideas and transform them into prototypes while they are informative years.
MIC has envisioned encouraging creation of ‘Institution’s Innovation Council (IICs)’ across selected HEIs. A network of these IICs will be established to promote innovation in the Institution through multitudinous modes leading to an innovation promotion eco-system in the campuses.
Major focus of IIC
To create a vibrant local innovation ecosystem. Start-up supporting Mechanism in HEIs. Prepare institute for Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements Framework. Establish Function Ecosystem for Scouting Ideas and Pre-incubation of Ideas. Develop better Cognitive Ability for Technology Students.
Objectives of Institution’s Innovation Council
- To conduct various innovation and entrepreneurship-related activities prescribed by Central MIC in time bound fashion.
- Identify and reward innovations and share success stories.
- Organize periodic workshops/ seminars/ interactions with entrepreneurs, investors, professionals and create a mentor pool for student innovators.
- Network with peers and national entrepreneurship development organizations.
- Create an Institution’s Innovation portal to highlight innovative projects carried out by institution’s faculty and students.
- Organize Hackathons, idea competition, mini-challenges etc. with the involvement of industries.
The IIC Council of the College consists of the following members:
Head of the Institution: Dr. Shaju Varghese
SPC-IIC President: Dr. Renu Susan Samuel
SPC-IIC Convenor and ARIIA Coordinator: Dr. Sona S. Dev
External Expert: Dr. Viju Jacob, MD, Synthite Industries
Alumni Entrepreneurs: 1) Sri. Joji Varghese
2) Sri. Alias K Peter
|Department||Name of the Faculty||Roles Assigned|
|English||Smt. Nayomi Rajan||Vice President|
|Chemistry||Smt. Asha Paul|
|Pol. Sc.||Smt. Jocelyn Jose||IPR Activity Coordinator|
|History||Smt. Elsa Sunny M|
|Physics||Ms. Soumya Kuriakose||Start-up Activity Coordinator|
|Zoology||Dr. Susha T K|
|Botany||Smt. Remya G Nair|
|Maths||Dr. Jaya Paul||Internship Activity Coordinator|
|Hindi||Dr. Sindhu P Kauma|
|Mal||Smt. Bincy Dominic|
|Commerce||Smt. Binu Mathew||Innovation Activity|
|Library Sc.||Ms. Asha D. Varghese||Social Media|
|Commerce SF||Dr. Bincy Baby||NISP coordinator|
|MTA SF||Smt. Shilpa Paul|
|Chemistry SF||Smt. Reshma Prakash|
Institution’s Innovation Council Activities
IIC 3.0 (2020-2021)
The IEDC of St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery was set up on 16th November 2020 and SPC IIC on 18th January 2021. Ever since its inception, various activities have been carried out as per the guidelines of both the Cells. The Innovation Cell constitutes of Council Members with Dr. Shaju Varghese, Principal as the Head of the Institution, Dr. Sona S Dev as the IEDC Nodal Officer, ARIIA and IIC Convenor, Dr. Renu Susan Samuel as the IEDC Assistant Nodal Officer and IIC President, Faculty representatives from all the departments, Alumni Members, Industrial Experts and Student representatives. The various activities conducted are:
- INDUCTION PROGRAM: An Induction program aimed at creating entrepreneurship awareness among students was conducted on 3rd November 2020, on behalf of IEDC and was headed by Dr. Sona S Dev & Dr. Renu Susan Samuel. The program was organized through Google Meet.
- LOGO LAUNCH OF IEDC: The PIONERO Innovation & Entrepreneurship Development Centre, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery, met online on 14th December 2020 at 2pm for the logo launch ceremony by Dr. Shaju Varghese, Principal. A video of the logo, prepared by Alwin John Joby, an IEDC member was screened on the occasion.
- IMPRESA: All India Inter-Collegiate Business Presentation Competition finale was conducted on 8th January 2021 by SPC PIONERO IEDC & IIC. The Judges were Dr. Ajay James, Assistant Professor, CSE Government Engineering College, Thrissur; Dr. Linda Louise, Assistant Professor, Dept of Biochemistry, St. Xavier’s College for Women, Aluva and Smt. Ambily T. Chacko, Assistant Professor, Department of Commerce, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery. Prizes were sponsored by Synthite and Aurea companies
- 23rd January 2021 – Internal Innovator’s Orientation Program I for the students from Science and Mathematics departments, by the students of the college.
- 25th January 2021 – Internal Innovator’s Orientation Program II for the students from Arts and Commerce streams by the students of the college.
- Orientation session on National Education Policy by Dr. Samuel Jacob Kuruvilla, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Kerala , Thiruvananthapuram on 30th January 2021.
- National Webinar on Entrepreneurship and Innovation as Career Opportunity by PG & Research Dept of Commerce, by Dr. Sangeetha K. Prathap, Assistant Professor, School of Management Studies, CUSAT, Kochi on 18th February 2021.
- National Webinar on My Story- Motivation Session by Successful Entrepreneur by the Dept of History, in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery by Bittu John, Entrepreneur, Green Store, Kolenchery on 22nd February 2021.
- National Webinar on My Story- Motivation Session by Successful Entrepreneur by the Dept of English, in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery by Sri. Jacob Joy, Managing Director, Jake’s Snacks and Foods Pvt. Ltd on 23rd February 2021.
- National webinar on Social Entrepreneurship: A Way to Solve Social Problems by the Dept of Library and Information Science, in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery and Central Library, Marian College, Kuttikanam (Autonomous) by Ann Thomas Kiriyanthan, Assistant Professor and Head of the Department of Commerce, St. Teresa’s College, Ernakulam on 2nd March 2021.
- National Webinar on Process of Innovation Development by the PG & Research Dept of Mathematics, in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery by Manoj Edward, Professor, School of Management Studies, CUSAT, Kochi on 5th March 2021.
- Dept of Commerce (SF) organised a One-Day Training Programme on Handmade Beauty Soap Making on 8th March 2021. No: of participants were 40.
- National Webinar on National Innovation and Startup Policy (NISP) by the Dept of Physics, in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery by Jency Treesa, Assistant Professor of Commerce, Convener of IIC and Coordinator of NISP of St. Teresa’s College, Ernakulam on 22nd March 2021.
- Orientation session on Innovative Strategies for Controlling Environmental Pollution by the Dept of Chemistry, in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery by Dr. Rani Joseph (Retd. Professor), Department of PS and RT, CUSAT, Chairperson of Indian Rubber Institute (Kerala Branch) & TTRCMO, Chemic Corp Polymer Solutions, Rubber Park on 20th April 2021.
- Orientation session on IPR for Innovative Entrepreneurship by Dept of Biotechnology & IP Cell, in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery by Dr. G. Geethika, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, UC College, Aluva on 22nd April 2021.
- National webinar on Entrepreneurship- Are Entrepreneurs born or made? by the PG & Research Dept of Botany in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery by Dr. Chandana C., Technology Business Incubator Manager, Innovation and Incubation Centre (BIIC), MG University, Kottayam on 23rd April 2021.
- The Malayalam Department in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery organized a session on “ Interaction with Successful Entrepreneur” by Shri. Muhammed Shabeer, Managing Director, Major Food Products on 10th May 2021.
- The PG Department of Chemistry (Self Finance) in association with IEDC & IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery organized a webinar on “Innovation Research on Quantum Dot Based Fluorescent Chemical Sensors” by Ammu Rosin Jose, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Sacred Heart College, Thevara, Kochi on 12th May 2021.
- All India Innovation-based Film Review Competition by the Dept of Hindi in association with IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery on 19th May 2021. Winners were awarded cash prize.
- The Department of Economics in association with IIC, St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery organized a Mentorship session for Innovators/Student Entrepreneurs through Experts by Dr. Bijoy Philipose, MD, Sevana Electrical Appliances Pvt. Ltd. and Director, Sevana Foundation on 21st May 2021.
- Orientation session for all students & faculties by Innovation Ambassador on 5th June, 2021 by Dr. Vandana Aravindan, Assistant Professor & HoD of Economics and Innovation Ambassador, St. Xavier’s College, Aluva, Ernakulam.
- Sona S Dev and Dr. Renu Susan Samuel attended an orientation program by the IEDC, Kerala Startup Mission on 20th May 2021.
- Renu Susan Samuel attended an orientation session for the IIC Presidents on 26th May 2021.
- Sona S Dev, IIC Convenor attended the orientation session for the IIC Convenors on 1st June 2021.
- Sona S Dev, Dr. Renu Susan Samuel, Dr. Jaya Paul, Smt. Remya G Nair, Sri. Binu Mathew, Smt. Asha Paul has enrolled for the training program for Innovation Ambassadors to be conducted in June-July 2021.
- As part of MoE’s Innovation Cell, our College is also registered under National Innovation & Startup Policy (NISP) under Phase 3, with Dr. Bincy Baby as its Coordinator.
- Certificate Course “Entrepreneurship Program 2021” in association with HDFC Bank Parivartan, ICT Academy and Dept of Commerce, from June 30th, 2021.
IIC 4.0 (2021-2022)
Q1: 1st Sept to Nov 21
- Impact Lecture Series on Sept 28th and Oct 9th
- An essay writing competition on National Education Policy was conducted by the Dept of Malayalam and IIC for the students of St. Peter’s College, Kolenchery related to the Important Day Celebration. 10 students participated and three were selected as winners.
First prize: Ms. Afiya M
Second prize: K.B. Abhinaya
Third Prize: Amritha Prasad.
- A session on ‘Talk to an Entrepreneur’ was conducted by the Department of Political Science in association with IIC, as part of IIC Calendar Activity on 15th November 2021. 41 students and 8 faculty representatives attended the session conducted online. Ms. Hiba Mariyam, Co-founder of SUEE addressed the meeting.
- A motivational talk by a Successful Innovator was conducted by the Department of Tourism Studies, as part of MoE’s Self-driven activity, on 18th November 2021. 38 students and 10 faculty attended the online session. The session was delivered by Mr Satheesh Miranda, Director, Business Development and Co- founder of CONTENTO Tourism Private Limited.
- As part of the Self-driven activity, a session was arranged by the Department of History in association with IIC, on ‘Building up a Business’ on 19th November 2021. 48 students and 10 faculties participated in the webinar. Sri Ratheesh, Managing Director of Hydro Pure Stainless Water Tank, ARTEC Industries, served as the resource person.
- The MIC Calendar Activity on “Entrepreneurship and Innovation as Career Opportunity” was conducted by the Department of Zoology in association with IIC with 90 student participants and 11 faculties on 20th November 2021. Ms. Aleesha John, the Co-founder of Tech Startup (Buy me a Coffee), California served as the speaker.
- A website designing competition on ‘Communicating Your Innovative Product Identity’ was conducted by the Department of Computer Science in association with IIC, from 20th November 230th November 2021. 17 students and 4 faculty members participated and the winners were awarded certificates.
- An opportunity for students to come up with innovative product and service-related ideas was encouraged through the Ideathon Competition conducted from 20th to 28th October 2021 with 30 students and 5 faculties. Prize money was awarded to the winners.
Q2: 1st Dec to Feb 22
- As part of the important day observation, a science quiz competition was organised on National Science Day on 28th February. 20 students from various departments participated.
1st Prize : Athira Dilish, Ann Maria Baby- 3 DC Mathematics
2nd Prize: Ameera, Najna Muneer- 1 DC Zoology
3rd Prize: Janvi Jose, Robin Raju- 3 DC Chemistry
- A webinar was organised by the Department of Economics in association with IIC, on ‘Entrepreneurship, Skill, Attitude and Behaviour Development’ on 5th February 2022. The Key speaker of the event was Dr. Shubha Dwivedi from UP. Total number of participants consisted of 81.
- A webinar ‘Talk With Student Entrepreneur’ was conducted under the self-driven activity on 16th February 2022. There were 64 participants. The class was led by Ms. Fidha Thasnim, an alumni entrepreneur of the Department of Chemistry.
- A webinar was conducted on the topic “Achieving Problems-Solutions Fit and Product-Market Fit” on 23rd February via Google meet. Dr. Sudhir Babu, MD, De Valor Management Consultants Limited, Mentor of Kerala Startup Mission and KDISC, Government of Kerala and Prime Minister’s Yuva Project, served as the resource person. 86 participants attended the session.
- “Alumnae as Luminaries: Success Stories in Entrepreneurship” is a video ensemble featuring five successful ‘shepreneurs’ of the Department of English- Shilpa, Suhana, Supriya, Samiya and Elza who have carved their niche in the world of entrepreneurship. As alumnae, they serve as luminaries for succeeding generations, cutting innovative paths towards economic empowerment.
- A creative writing competition was conducted at the national level by the Dept of Mathematics, to share Business Ideas on Green Business. The last date for submission was 20th January 2022. The objective of the competition was to initiate and to encourage green ideas among students. First Price was won by Amrita Jacob of II M.Sc. Mathematics.
- A two-days hands on workshop was delivered to the students of the college on Machine Learning For Beginners by Navaneeth D, final year student, B.Tech (Computer Science), GEC, Thrissur on 4th and 5th December, 2021. The number of participants were 30. The session was conducted by the IEDC and IIC of ST. Peter’s College, Kolenchery in collaboration with IEDC of Government Engineering College, Thrissur.
Q3: 1st March to May 22
- As part of celebrating the World Intellectual Property Day, the Department of Library Science in association with IIC conducted a webinar on the Role of LIS Professionals on 11th May 2022. Total number of participants were 86.
- In association with the Mentor institution, a session on Business Model Canvas was conducted on 9th May 2022 with 164 participants. The session gave an overview of the nine-block business model – Key activities, Customer Segments, Value proposition, Channels, Customer relationship, Revenue Streams, Key Resources, Partners and Cost Structure.
- A field visit was organised to the Kerala Startup Mission, Kalamassery, Ernakulam, on 7th of May 2022 with 26 students and two faculty. The students were introduced to the various facilities in the incubation center and the startups using them.
- A session was organized on the topic ‘IPR and IP Management for Startup’ by the Department of Biotechnology in association with IIC, on 12th April 2022. 70 participants attended.
- In association with IIC, a session was arranged on the topic ‘Entrepreneurship- Designing Own Future’ by the Department of Commerce on 16th May 2022 with 72 participants.
- An online quiz on Startup, Innovation and Entrepreneurship was conducted on 29th and 30th May, 2022 by the Dept of Chemistry (SF) in which 20 students participated, of whom 9 scored full marks.
- A Speech Competition on the topic “Identifying the Major Drivers of Entrepreneurial Growth among Students” was conducted at National level on 31st May 2022 by the Dept of Hindi. From among the participants, two winners were selected and issued cash prizes.
First prize- Jithin T A, Ave Stella Maris College, Kizhumuri
Second Prize- Rebecca Mary, St Peter’s College, Kolenchery
- As a part of the Smart India Hackathon, St Peter’s College Kolenchery, Ernakulam Conducted an “Internal Hackathon for Smart India Hackathon 2022” on 11th April 2022 through Online Platform. The Panel of Judges were Dr. Renu Susan Samuel (Assistant Professor, Department of Economics & Ambily T. Chacko (Assistant Professor, Department of Commerce). The Program underwent a two stage Screening Process. Ten teams participated.
Q4: 1st June to Aug 22
- As part of the Mentor Mentee program, a session was organized by the Mentor Institution on Innovation/Prototype Validation on 18th June 2022. Total number of participants accounted to 163.